In EnglishLAPUA CHRISTIAN INSTITUTE
Lapua Christian Institute is a boarding school founded in 1914. So we have near 100 years of experience in the field of education. There are about 90 similar €˜folk high schools€™ in Finland
Our new modern buildings were built in 1988 in the centre of Lapua town.
We can offer accommodation for 80 students (40 double rooms)
This year we have 110 daily students and about 50 students who study and work at the same time and have lessons only every now and then. So over a half of the students live in their own homes.
Our staff consists of 23 full time emplyees (ten full time teachers including the principal, kitchen personnel, office clerks and education planners, project people, a janitor and cleaners. In addition we have about 30 part-time teachers.
I Year-around (so called long courses) study lines
1. The 10th grade of the comprehensive school
We have now17 students (16 €“ 17 years old) who spend an extra year in our boarding school and study the comprehensive school subjects and improve their grades, focus and plan their future carieers and get support to become more independent and ready for further studies.
2. Examination of Child care and education and family welfare
This is a three year vocational training. The students qualify for work with children and families in day-care centres, congregations and so on. We take in about 20 students yearly, so we now have 64 students in this line. The students may also continue their studies in a university or other high schools after the three years.
3. Further vocational training for adults
1. Further qualification for special needs assistants in educational institutions.
Examination for those who want to become personal assistants for handicapped children or other children who need help and support at school
2. Further qualification for child minders
Examination in children€™s day-care in private families
3. Further qualification in special needs instruction for children and young people
4. A preparatory 1 year course for undergraduates who want to study open university subjects to have better chances to get access to university. This is so called liberal adult education.
II Short courses
We arrange short courses (from 3 days to 4 months) on various fields containing vocational courses, languages, mathematics, computing, music, arts and so on. The short courses can be in the evenings, during week-ends or in summertime.
III Other activities
We have quite a lot of other activities than education. Companies and organizations can arrange meetings and conferences, families have weddings, birthday parties, funerals and other happenings here.